Saturday, September 25, 2010

News for the soul

Hello friends,

Sorry for my lack of post the other day, I have made up for it by finding two spectacular gems of positivity. I must be honest, and my mom can vouch for this, recent news headlines have really been getting to me, it's hard for me to not feel irritable and stressed when reading the most popular articles. But I ask, who wants to hear about conflict all day and all night ?  Welcome to a plaguing problem for smart people everywhere, drama and negativity are attractive.

Courtney and I discussed this the other day, but think of television shows like the "Real" Housewives...first, they are not really that "real", let's acknowledge that, and second, their sole purpose on these shows is perpetuate drama for an hour a week ! I am passing no judgement on anyone for watching these shows, I am just as guilty as anyone else; it's so easy to get caught up in the negativity.  So let's be positive this week, and try and cut out as much of this kerfuffle as possible.  The journalists writing about positive-outcome issues, about success and not failure, are so, so important, let's take a look at some pieces that highlight this talent !

First, from the Detroit Free Press : Detroit students get new school options by Peggy Walsh-Sarnecki

Any good news about Detroit is wonderful news, especially for us Michiganders.  It's always a big question, how do we help Detroit ? Here we are presented with an excellent option : Education.  Like the article about post-apartheid schools in South Africa, opening these new, smaller schools in Detroit will allow students to get the attention they deserve, and with high hopes for graduation of both high school and college students, how could you not get excited ?  There is nothing quite as empowering as a good education, and all children have the right to it.  It will be so exciting to see how these programs work for students and to watch a new generation of Detroit students emerging.

Second, from the LA Times : Afghan women break barriers in a male bastion: the army by Laura King

To preface this article, I want to share a little blurb about a book I'm reading, called "Half the Sky" by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn.  First, I recommend that all read this book, or at least check out the website : http://www.halftheskymovement.org/.  All you need to do is read the title : "Half the Sky : Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide" and you feel like you've stepped into this eye-opening journey into helping others succeed across the globe.

And thus we turn back to my second uplifting article for the day.  It details the accomplishment of 29 Afghan women in becoming lieutenants in Afghanistan; makes you wanna shout "YOU GO GIRLS" at the top of your lungs, right ?  Laura King explains that Afghanistan was not always such a difficult place for women to excel as it had become about 15-20 years ago.  Well, ladies, you've set a huge example and we're damned excited about it!


Here's hoping your day was half full, if not I hope these articles added some improvement...but just in case :


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, they look like baby Kona's...how cute. You are doing a great job Kelsy. I think your attitude can be altered by having too much negative news being thrown at you. It is overwhelming and upsetting. This is a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great articles, Kels. Isn't it great that Jalen Rose is giving back to the children of Detroit. And, how wonderful for the women of Afganistan.

    P.S. Can I have the puppy on the right?

    ReplyDelete